Nip-tuck Survey: Why Texans Want Treatment

Posted By American Med Spa Association, Thursday, October 1, 2015

A new survey of men and women in Dallas, Texas, reveals nearly 75% of adults are considering or have had a cosmetic procedure on the face or neck. The remaining 25% of the 160 Texans surveyed are undecided, which suggests most people in Dallas have a never-say-never attitude about having nips and tucks, according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). What’s driving the city’s willingness and desire to have cosmetic procedures? The survey indicates selfies and other social media images are putting on display and magnifying perceived imperfections. In fact, 22% of respondents indicated they were frustrated and motivated to aesthetically change because of their pictures on social media. “Over the last five years, the selfie craze has exploded across all age groups,” says AAFPRS President Stephen S. Park, M.D. “Photographs on social media can deliver a distorted image of reality, holding up a magnifying glass to flaws, real or perceived. This is causing plastic surgery requests to skyrocket in both teens as well as adults.” Read more at Cosmetic Surgery Times.