New Bill Would Grant Independent Practice to Advanced Practice Registered Nurses in Texas

Posted By American Med Spa Association, Thursday, February 21, 2019

A new bill introduced in Texas would allow advanced practice registered nurses (APRNs) to practice without the need for physician supervision.  The bill is sponsored by a number of  Representatives in the House and awaits further consideration. You can review the text of House Bill 1792 (HB 1792) in full here
HB 1792 proposes sweeping changes to Texas’ current APRN practice laws. Currently, APRNs in TX require a practice agreement with a physician to delegate medical aspects of care and to authorize prescriptions APRNs may independently provide their advanced nursing care. HB 1792 would expand the APRN role to be an independent health care provider able to practice without needing a physician. Under HB 1792 APRNS would be able to perform, among other things, advanced assessments, establish diagnoses, and order and delegate therapeutic measures. To apply for independent practice an APRN must 1) hold a license as a nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or clinical nurse specialist 2) have been practicing for at least 2,080 hours under the delegation of a physician, and 3) make an application to the Board of Nursing. An APRN with independent authorization could also be authorized by the Board to prescribe schedule III through V drugs and schedule II drugs under limited circumstances. APRNs would have to complete at least 48 hours of continuing education every 2 years to renew their license. The national trend has been moving towards allowing APRNs to practice as independent healthcare providers and not dependent on the supervision of physicians. In that regard, HB 1792 is right in line with that trend and if passed would make Texas APRNs independent health care providers in their own right.
We will be monitoring HB 1792 as it works its way through Texas’s legislative process this year. Given the number of authors and co-authors this Bill seems to have broad support. If you would like to contact HB 1792’s sponsors they can be reached via the House of Representative’s   website.